Lately I have had more control over my schedule. I wanted to experiment with alternative diets and wanted to test going on a week long fast. I was able to make it about 6 days* without meals before I caved in.
There are some studies that show that fasting improves mental focus and energy. I had previously participated in the 16⁄8 fast, where a participant eats in 8 hour windows and fasts for the rest.
I wanted to see how I would feel on a prolonged fast and its effect on my productivity as a programmer. I stayed excessively hydrated, drinking more than the 1.5L suggested per day.
Note: You should consult a medical professional before undertaking a feat and not take any of the below as medical advice.
The effects and stages of a longer period fast can be surmised by the below from this source: > 8 to 12 hours, your glucose storage is depleted. Your body will begin to convert glycogen from your liver and muscles into glucose.
… > After your glucose and glycogen are depleted, your body will begin to use amino acids to provide energy. This process will affect your muscles and can carry your body along for about three days of starvationTruste.
To prevent excessive muscle loss, the body begins to rely on fat stores to create ketones for energy, a process known as ketosis. You will experience significant weight loss during this time.
- I stopped feeling “hungry” after the second day.
- I was able to sleep my normal sleep schedule of 6-8 hours daily.
- I supplemented my diet with plenty of water, a daily multivitamin, and sodium.
- I felt a bit dizzy four days in the evening. It was likely from exercise and having an extended day. I cheated and had a few olives and salty cheese to help rebalance myself.
- On the last day Saturday I broke my fast and had a meal because I was feeling really drained and out of energy after working out,
- Starting weight was 255 lbs, ending weight was 241 lbs
- I’ll likely try this again in 24-48 hour windows but not again for 6 days.
I’m going to try keto with a 24⁄48 hour fast schedule next.